November 16, 2006

Inevitable Provisionality

Today was a great class and I think the zines are awesome, but leaving class I started feeling a little down. The realization that this class is coming to an end hit me, and I started thinking about provisionality. While considering some things as provisional you jump for joy (the Bush administration comes to mind), others are quite the opposite. This class was a great place to put theory into play; a place to feel active and that you are making a difference, even if it is only toward fellow classmates (however, our feministeppin’ comments proved we reached further). What makes me feel a little better though is thinking that another class may perform the same assignments (or similar) and another provisional class will arise for a brief four months.

I think our theorists this year would be proud. Kipnis would have liked our refunctioning; Rhodes would have appreciated our use of online feminism; Fiske would have understood our popular selection; Benjamin would have loved our politicization of aesthetics. The list goes on and on. I think we achieved a lot in this class, if only for a short while. We were the first for many projects, hopefully not the last.

And there you have it, my final 320 blog. woot woot

No comments: